Thursday, June 18, 2009

Okay bloggers, got an ample amount of time on my hands as I am waiting a download of my fave artist program.
Anyways, I promised I would tell you about the most popular medication and the effects the disorder has on family.
First and foremost, you must realize that though I am talking about the different kinds of medications and how they affect you I am in NO WAY A DOCTOR. You should always consult your doctor. The extenet of my knowledge stems from the fact that I've spent ten years of trial and error with medications.
Okay, lets start with the anti-depressants. The most popular of all is of course Prozac- Now I tried this particular drug myself and it stopped working after six months. However, I know a lot of people who said it worked for them. In England, though, they had prozac banned and taken off the market. 1. Because doctors and the pharmacuetical companies were saying it was safe for pregnant women, and it's not!
And 2. They're have been more than 12 violence related cases with people taking prozac.
Next there is the anti-depressent I take now and it's called Cymbalta. Now one anti-depressent alone doesn't work for me. But it might for you, be sufficient. I've taken this one so long that I don't notice most of the side effects that are listed along with the prescription. But the most common, that have faded for me since then is: dry mouth, constipation, and itchy or runny nose. It's a great anti-depressent because it works on three levels. Most anti-depressents only focus on boosting seratonin levels. So the three things Cymbalta helps is BOTH seratonin and norapenphrine.(SP?) And it also helps ease the aches of the depression. Now it's NOT a pain killer but it works for minor aches and pains when depressed.
For me I have been a lot happier since on it and even when I do get depressed they are less then what it was like before.
A new drug that does the similar effects is PRISTIQ now I haven't taken it so there is really nothing I can except it's pharmacuetical name is close to another anti-depressent I am going to touch on, DOXEPIN
I take this one and it makes me so sleepy that I take it at night.
I have no clue as to what the side effects are, but since I am still on it you can bet the effects aren't that bad or lingering.
Now onto MOOD STABILIZERS
There are a few things you should know before dabbling into medication.
1. If you are bipolar it is MOST prudent to take Mood stabilizers as well as anti-depressents because you'll end up in manic mode 24/7
2. IT DOES make you feel groggy or like a zombie for the first few months of taking them, BUT STAY ON THEM BECAUSE IT WILL EASE UP LATER ON!!!
Alright the first mood stabilizer I am going to talk about is GEODON
Not many side effects but the fact that you feel really tired and groggy. Now if you're Manic bipolar then there is a good chance you are an insomniac as well as bipolar. This is true for me, I take Geodon at night and it makes me feel calmer and more at peace to sleep well.
The weird thing about Geodon is that it only works well when you eat something with fat in it half an hour after you take. It makes the meds. kick in 200%
Another type of mood stabilizer is LAMICTAL, which is another one I take but it's less severe in it's side effects because I take it in the morning. It's the just ever so slight of an edge to take the mania at bay.
When discussing with your doctor on the dosaging of ANY med. is to remember that some may need to be heavier and some may need to be lighter, but you again are at the mercy of trial and error. And just because I may take 200mg you might not. Since even though I may be smaller then you I've taken medications for a long time and have become dulled to the effects of any med.
Another mood stabilizer is ABILIFY. Now the great thing about this medication is that more than mood stabilizer, it also works the best with some anti-depressents, like: Prozac, Effexor, and a lot of others. Unfortunately it didn't work for me and the resulting effect was that after 6mo. it no longer worked.
NOW, THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT!!! EVEN THOUGH MOST DOCTORS WILL TRY TO START YOU OFF WITH LITHIUM YOU NEED TO SEVERELY RESEARCH THE EFFECTS AND WEIGH THE PROS AND CONS OF THE DRUG.
It gave me or at least helped to give me thyroid cancer. Not only that, but it really DOES fuck you up and make you a zombie like individual.. AND THE EFFECTS DO NOT GO AWAY.

Now if you need to take the edge off of an episode, instead of resorting to drugs, you can just pop a 25mg of Benadryl. It takes only a short time to be digested and it really calms you.
For my last mood stabilizer I'll be talking about is Seroquel. This one I also take but it's meant for me as a more fast acting and heavier calm down then what I can get from Benadryl.
OKAY, ONE MORE WARNING!!!
IT IS NOT A SMART IDEA TO MIX DRUGS AND ALCOHOL WITH YOUR MEDS. The least it would do is to make you throw up, the worst is it will cause you to blackout and vomit(not necessarily in that order)
IT IS ALSO NOT COOL TO CHANGE YOUR MEDS WITHOUT DISCUSSING IT WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST, AND
NEVER NEVER NEVER GIVE YOUR MEDS TO SOMEONE ELSE WHO IS NOT PRESCRIBED THAT SAME MED AND DOSAGE AND
AND DO NOT TAKE THEIRS.
I did promise to talk to you about the effect our disorder has on the family. Its tough for them REALLY REALLY TOUGH, they have to deal with someone who at the very least screams and yells when in manic mode and at the most is breaking things or even worse hitting your loved ones. BUT ABOVE ALL PLEASE ALSO REMEMBER:
YOUR PARENTS WILL BLAME EVERYTHING YOU DO AND ACT LIKE ON YOUR DISORDER. It's not cool, we as bipolars have a right sometimes to be angry, or cheerful and happy... WITHOUT IT GOING TO AN EPISODE. It's my biggest fight with my remaining family members is to treat me like I am normal. I will notice if I start to slip into an episode and will take the precautions to correct it.
Make sure you are calm and firm in your resolve when you go to talk to your parents about any aspect of your disorder. Try saying things like, this is a debilitating disorder for both of us. I am working on to find the best meds to work but until then I will be up and down and need your support.
In fact the most important thing you need is a positive support group and things you can do to distract you from your depression when it hits. A great one is Journaling or Blogging. Just writing down how you feel will often times lift the mood. But the best is to have an understanding and supportive group surrounding you.
I think I have sufficiently described to you The major points of Bipolar disorder. From this point on as I continue to blog I will write in new points I've learned from research or the community
THANKS FOR FOLLOWING!!

1 comment:

  1. Liked the part about the meds. I take geodone, lamictal, and paxil. It is also worth noting that geodone is highly addictive and if you miss a dose it will feel like you are having a panic attack and cause insomnia. Prozac is an evil drug. About 15 years ago I realized that prozac made the high from marijuana even greater so I got my doctor to increase me to the highest legal dosage.

    ReplyDelete